MINISTERIAL APPOINTMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following positions:
Advisory Committee on Business Accelerators and Incubators
The Government of Canada has committed to developing an Innovation Agenda that includes improving the performance of Canada’s ecosystem of business accelerators and incubators (BAIs) in supporting innovative growth-oriented firms.
Consistent with the Government’s goals of defining outcomes and measures of success, Budget 2016 announced that the Government will work with stakeholders to develop a performance measurement framework for business accelerators and incubators in Canada. “This framework will enable these organizations to benchmark their performance and drive improvement, help companies to choose their best options for support, and assist governments at all levels in increasing the effectiveness of public investments in this area.”
The Government of Canada is seeking candidates to form a balanced advisory committee to provide recommendations to the Minister of Small Business and Tourism on how the Government of Canada can most effectively support innovative growth-oriented firms through BAIs. Committee members will comprise of accelerator leaders, entrepreneurs, and early stage investors. Members are expected to bring their objective professional judgment, as well as the perspective and positions of the organizations or associations they represent. The Committee will be supported by a secretariat staffed by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
The Committee’s work will include the following:
- Review relevant research and engage with BAIs, relevant government departments, investors, other stakeholders and with Canadian and foreign subject matter experts;
- Develop concrete recommendations for how to measure BAI performance and how key stakeholders in Canada’s early stage ecosystem (BAI, angel and venture capital investors, research centres, and government programs) can better collaborate and coordinate efforts to help innovative growth-oriented firms scale-up, better engage with larger Canadian corporations, access executive mentors, engage with the right types of investors, and access international partners and markets;
- Advise on how the Government could take action to better support innovative firms, giving consideration to existing programs;
- The Committee will meet at least four times and may also visit with experts across Canada; and
- A final action plan from the Committee to the Minister will be produced in autumn 2016.
How to Apply
The DEEP Centre has been engaged by the department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development to provide a list of potential members based on a thorough review of representatives from the entrepreneur ecosystem and from applications from interested candidates.
Interested qualified candidates must apply online to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 23, 2016. Candidates should provide a copy of their CV and a cover letter briefly outlining how they meet the experience and knowledge criteria and are also asked to indicate their official language proficiency and to self-identify as one or more of the designated groups noted below.
It is envisaged that the final Committee will be composed of approximately seven members including the Chair from the private sector and/or non-government organizations. Questions related to the Advisory Committee on Business Accelerators and Incubators should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com.
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, disabled persons, and members of visible minorities.
- Previous private sector and/or non-government organization leadership in Canada’s entrepreneurial ecosystem from a national and/or regional perspective.
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of disciplines, for example, managing/founding a Canadian business accelerator and incubator, start-up and/or investments in early stage companies.
- Experience developing and/or reporting on performance measurements of organizations supporting start-ups.
- The Chair should have demonstrated leadership, decision-making and consensus-building qualities to ensure that meetings are conducted in an efficient, effective and focussed manner.
- A solid and broad understanding of Canadian and international BAIs.
- Challenges facing innovation
- Canadian and international entrepreneur ecosystems
- Competitive industry sectors
Conditions of Appointment
- Members are appointed by the Minister and serve at pleasure.
- No remuneration will be provided.
- Members must be willing to travel as required.
- Each member shall be reimbursed, consistent with guidelines set forth by the Treasury Board Directive on Travel, Hospitality, Conference and Event Expenditures for reasonable travel and living expenses incurred while performing Committee duties.
- Members will be asked to observe guidelines on Conflict of Interest and Ethics.
This notice is not intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
We thank all those who apply. Please note that only candidates who are selected will be contacted.